Cost per serving $1.06 view details
- 1Â 1/4 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 can Chicken broth, 13 3/4 or possibly 14 1/2 ounce.
- 3 Tbsp. Butter or possibly margarine
- 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 c. Plain dry bread crumbs, plus 2 Tbsp.
- 8 ounce Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1 Tbsp.
- 1 c. Finely minced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 c. Julienned fresh basil leaves, plus 1 Tbsp. Or possibly 1/2 c. minced fresh parsley plus 1/2 tsp., dry basil
- 1/4 x Tts freshly grnd pepper
- 1 pch Red pepper
- 3 c. Elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. Butter or possibly margarine, melted
- 1 c. Seeded, thinly sliced plum tomatoes
- 1. Make White Sauce: Bring lowfat milk and broth just to a boil in saucepan. Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in warm lowfat milk mix and salt; bring to boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 3 min.
- 2. Heat oven to 375 F. Grease 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs; shake out excess.
- 3. Stir mozzarella, 1/3 c. Parmesan, the minced tomatoes, 1/2 c. basil, and freshly grnd and red peppers into white sauce. Stir in macaroni; spoon into prepared pan.
- 4. Combine butter with remaining 1/3 c. crumbs and 1 Tbsp. Parmesan in bowl; sprinkle over macaroni. Place on cookie sheet and bake 25 to 35 min, till golden brown and bubbly. Cold 20 min. Garnish with tomato slices and remaining basil. Remove sides of pan.
- Makes 8 servings.
- NOTES : This "cake" is really an elegant version of good old mac 'n' cheese. It has all the comfort of the original plus basil and tomatoes.
- Prep time: 30 min;
- Baking Time: 25 to 35 min; Degree of difficulty:
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 259g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 142||46%|
|Total Fat 15.99g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 8.45g||34%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 26.53g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|