This classic Ugandan dish is cooked in a smoked banana leaf (luwombo), but here it is given a Mexican twist, adding a mole sauce. “Mole” (pronounced mow-lay) is the iconic sauce in the Mexican cuisine, which is made with a combination of different dried chillies, dried herbs, spices and chocolate. The combination of the unique flavour of the "luwombo" and the tantalising taste of the "mole" makes this an unmissable dish!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons mole powder
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 slice white bread, toasted and broken into small pieces
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper
- 150 millilitres beef stock/broth
- 1 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 kilogram/2Â½ pounds rib eye, cut into 5-centimetre/2-inch pieces
- 1 large banana leaf, preferably smoked (used for cooking only)
- The Sauce
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sautÃ© for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mole powder and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the raisins, and cook for about 2 minutes, until they start getting puffed.
- Transfer everything to a food processor, add the cinnamon and
- bread, and process to a puree.
- Press the puree through a medium-mesh strainer.
- Put a tiny amount of oil in a pot over medium heat, add the puree,
- and cook for 7â10 minutes, stirring continually, until the mixture darkens and thickens to the consistency of tomato paste.
- Add the stock/broth, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the chocolate, and stir in the sugar and salt.
- Preparing the luwombo beef
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, place a little oil, and brown the
- beef on all sides.
- Line a slow cooker pan with the luwombo (banana leaf) , leaving a good piece of it hanging over the sides of the pan.
- Place the beef at the bottom of the pan, and add the mole sauce, covering the beef generously.
- Fold the hanging banana leaf parts to cover the beef, and cover the pan with the lid.
- Turn the slow cooker temperature to high, and cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, check the beef; it should be fork tender. If not, cook for further 15â30 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 334g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 401||53%|
|Total Fat 44.62g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 13.8g||55%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 21.65g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|