Cost per serving $0.58 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. All purpose-flour
- 1Â 1/2 c. Cake flour, sifted
- 1Â 1/2 c. Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1Â 1/2 c. Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil, *note
- 3 Tbsp. Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Grated lemon rind
- 4 x Egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 c. Poppy seeds
- Yield: 1 cake - 12 portions
- *note: recipe called for 3 TB of oil. If you use the glaze (see below), you could probably leave it out. The glaze added a good amount of additional moisture to the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10-c. bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, 1 c. of the sugar, baking pwdr, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the applesauce, oil, lemon juice, and lemon rind till blended.
- In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites till foamy and almost double in volume. Slowly beat in the remaining 1/2 c. of sugar till whites form soft peaks.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix. Pour in the applesauce mix, and stir till just combined. Mix will be quite thick. Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter, gently fold remaining egg whites into the batter and mix in poppy seeds. Pour batter into prepared pan; shake gently to distribute batter proportionately.
- Bake 35 min, or possibly till a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cold in pan on a wire rack for 5 min; turn onto rack to finish cooling.
- Glaze: I dribbled the cooled cake with a glaze of 3 TB fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 TB frzn orange juice concentrate and about 1/2 c. of confectioners sugar (or possibly more - sufficient to make a pourable glaze).
- Pyramid equivalent: 1 1/4 breads, 1/4 fruit
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 98g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 23||9%|
|Total Fat 2.68g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.27g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 54.95g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|