I was looking for a healthy snack for my kids and had made this before but it was loaded with sugar and called for white flour. Just because a recipe calls for a vegetable does not make it healthy so I decided to re-vamp the recipe and see what my kids thought. Success! They still love it!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark coco powder
- 1 tbps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 apple sauce (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or less/more if you like)
- Pre heet oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tray with cupcake liners. This made 18 medium muffins for me.
- Combine the first six ingredients, and set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, buttermilk, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold in ingredients.
- Finally, fold in the zucchini and chocolate morsels, until fully incorporated.
- Divide among cupcake liners and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Make sure not to over bake as this will result in dry muffins. (I took mine out when I thought they were a tad under done).
- Set muffin tray on cooling rack for five minutes then remove muffins from pans, and allow to cool completely.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 54g|
|Recipe makes 18 servings|
|Calories from Fat 65||34%|
|Total Fat 7.34g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2.84g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 28.37g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|