This post is for my sister Jennifer, she requested a low carb banana pudding recipe. We southern girls do love our banana pudding. I searched high and low for sugar-free vanilla wafers but had no such luck, so I decided to make my own likeness using a sugar free cake mix. Here it goes:
- CAKE LAYER: (vanilla wafers):
- 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar substitute
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbls half & half
- 1 box sugar-free cake mix
- PUDDING LAYER:
- 2 1/2 cups half & half
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lg box sugar-free instant vanilla pudding (1.5oz)
- 1 sm box sugar-free banana pudding (.9oz)
- 1/2 tsp banana extract (optional)
- 1 small slightly green banana (less sugar)
- WHIPPED CREAM LAYER:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbls sugar substitute
- Beat butter, vanilla, egg whites, half & half and sugar substitute until fluffy. Then beat in the cake mix until smooth. Spray a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick spray. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Loosen the sides of the cake and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Invert the cake on a piece of waxed paper and let cool completely. The cake will crisp up a little as it cools. Cut the cake into 2 equal pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl add the half & half, water, 2 pudding mixes and banana extract, beat until smooth. Put half of the cake in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and spread half of the pudding over the top. Repeat with the other half of the cake and the remaining pudding. Thinly slice the banana and evenly distribute across the pudding surface. In a chilled glass bowl, add the whipping cream, sugar substitute and vanilla. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, then spread over the top.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 179g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 266||53%|
|Total Fat 30.23g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 16.59g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 55.26g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|