Cost per serving $1.42 view details
- 3 ounce butter
- 1 c. lowfat milk
- 1 ounce yeast cake
- Â Â (or possibly 1 package of dry yeast)
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 3 c. wheat flour
- 1 lrg yellow onion
- 1 lb grnd beef mixed beef and pork
- 1Â 1/4 c. cooked rice leftover rice is OK
- 1 c. cream
- 1 x egg
- Â Â salt and pepper
- This is an excellent-tasting stomachfiller. My dear mother gave me this recipe when I moved away from home. She prob- ably thought which it would give me which feeling of home. It does. I have tried it on my friends, and it is always a hit.
- My mother is from Finland.
- Serves 4-6
- 1. Make the dough: heat the butter and add in lowfat milk. Heat the mix to 100 deg. F. Crumble the yeast into a bowl. Add in the butter-and-lowfat milk mix and whip it till the yeast as dissolved. Add in sugar, salt and flour and stir till it becomes a dough. Cover the bowl, and let rise in a hot place for about 40 min.
- 2. While the dough rises, chop the onion into very small pcs, and put in a large frying pan. Add in the grnd meat immediately and saute/fry for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Add in the cooked rice and saute/fry this mix another 5 min. Add in the cream, season to taste with salt and pepper, and turn off the heat. Let the frying pan stand on the stove, covered, till the dough is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 450 deg. F
- 3. Roll out the dough so it fits in a 12x16 inch bak- ing dish. Put the dough into the dish so which the dough covers the whole dish (this is the most dif- ficult part; do not be discouraged if you have to roll out the dough again).
- 4. Add in the filling on top of the dough. Whip the egg and spread it over the filling. Bake it on the bottom rack in the oven for about 20 min.
- 5. When the pie has cooled off a bit; cut it into pcs which are 1 1/4 inches by 6 inches (the traditional size of lihapiirakka in Finland).
- NOTESWhile eating lihapiirakka, you can try the hard work of pro- nouncing its name. "Liha" means meat and "piirakka" is just
- "piirakka". The filling can of course be varied. Other traditional Finnish fillings for other "piirakka"s are blue- berries (with some potato flour on top) and cottage cheese.
- Difficulty: moderate. Time: 30 min preparation, 30 min cooking and cooling. Precision: measure the crust ingredients carefully.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 460g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 452||43%|
|Total Fat 50.96g||64%|
|Saturated Fat 26.79g||107%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 110.6g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|