Cost per serving $1.18 view details
- 2Â 1/4 c. Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 12 Tbsp. Unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch bits
- 1 x Egg
- 1/2 c. Lowfat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. Butter, soft
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 lb Fresh mushrooms, finely minced to yield 3/4 c.
- Â Â Meat*
- 1/3 c. Onions, finely minced
- 1/4 c. Parsley, finely minced
- 1 c. Cheddar or possibly swiss cheese,grat
- 1/2 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 x Egg mixed w/2 tb lowfat milk
- * Use either 3 pounds finely grnd meat (beef, pork, ham, lamb or possibly veal or possibly a combination of any of these), or possibly 4 c. cooked grnd or possibly finely minced meat
- Prepare the pastry: Sift the flour and salt together into a large chilled bowl. Drop the 1/4-inch bits of butter into the bowl. Working quickly, use your fingertips to rub the flour and butter together till they have the appearance of flakes of coarse meal. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and lowfat sour cream and stir into this the flour-butter mix, working with your fingers till you can gather the dough into a soft, pliable ball.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill 1 hour. Cut the chilled dough in half and roll out each half to rectangles of 6 by 14 inches each, setting aside any scraps.
- Butter the bottom of a jelly-roll pan with 1 Tbsp. of soft butter.
- Lift 1 sheet of the pastry over the rolling pin and unroll it into the pan, or possibly drape the pastry over the rolling pin, lift it up and unfold it into the pan.
- Prepare the meat filling:Heat the 4 Tbsp. of butter in a 10- to 12-inch skillet. When the foam subsides, add in the minced mushrooms and cook them over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 min, or possibly till they are lightly colored.
- If you are using grnd raw meat, add in it to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 8 to 10 min, or possibly till the meat loses its read color and any accumulated liquid in the pan cooks completely away. Scrape the meat mix from the skillet (or possibly the mushrooms and already cooked meat) into a large mixing bowl and stir in the minced onions, parsley, cheese and lowfat milk. Now gather this meat mix into a ball and place it in the center of the dough in the pan. With you hands, pat the meat into a narrow loaf extending across the center of the dough from one end to the other. Lift the second sheet of pastry over the pin and gently drape it on top of the meat loaf; press the edges of the 2 sheets together. Dip a pastry brush into the combined egg and lowfat milk mix and moisten the edges of the dough. Press down on the edges all around the loaf with the back of a fork (the tines will seal the edges securely). Prick the top of the loaf in several places with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Preheat the oven to 375'F. Gather together into a ball all of the excess scraps of dough and roll it out to a thin rectangle. With a pastry wheel or possibly small, sharp knife, cut this dough into long, narrow strips. Brush the loaf with more of the egg and lowfat milk mix and crisscross the pastry strips over the top of the loaf in an attractive pattern. Now brush the strips with the lowfat milk and egg mix and set the jelly-roll pan in the center of the oven.
- Bake for 45 min, or possibly till the loaf has turned a golden. Serve thick slices of the warm meat loaf, accompanied by a bowl of cool lowfat sour cream and a side dish of lingonberries.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 192g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 404||65%|
|Total Fat 45.91g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 28.19g||113%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.25g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|