This turned out to be a really tasty creation. My two house guests, and a freind stopping by and the cake was GONE in a flash!!! A 13 X 9 pan, filled to the brim...disappeared in 12 hours.... It's pretty quick, using a package lemon supreme cake mix, and Jello, cook and serve Lemon Pudding...BUT, and this is a big BUT....the secret lies in my moms discovery of how to make the pudding/pie filling, so it turns out light and almost mouse like...so pay attention to the directions to make the pudding filling....and I use six egg whites for the meringue...so here is my first recipe for Cook Eat Share...enjoy and let me know what you think about it. Thanks, Verne
- One Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- Three eggs
- 1 cup water
- One Large Jello Cook and Serve Lemon Pudding and Pie Filling
- One Lemon
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 cup sugar divided into two 1/2 cup portions
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarteran
- Follow the directions on the cake mix and bake in a greased and floured 13X9" aluminum (prefered) baking pan. Do not over cook.
- Let cake cool 10 min, then turn out of the pan onto a wire cooling rack and let it completely cool
- Cut the cake in half length wise and put the top half back in the baking pan, keeping the bottom half close by
- In your Kitchen Aid Mixer Bowl, dump the Jello Pudding mix
- Seperate 6 eggs and put 3 yokes in the mixer with jello mix
- save 3 yokes for some other day
- retain the 6 whites in a clean small stainless bowl in the refrigerator
- Juice the lemon and place juice in a 1/2 cup measuring cup
- Fill remainer of measuring cup with water and pour into mixing bowl
- add 1/2 cup sugar to mixing bowl and slowly blend on low for 1 min
- place 2 cups of water in your favorite heavy 3 qt sauce pan and bring to a full rapid boil... TIMING IS EVERYTHING NOW SO PAY ATTENTION...
- Turn mixer on HIGH and whip the jello mixture to the max while the water in the sauce pan is coming to a boil, you can even start whipping the jello mixture before you start heating the water...
- You want the jello mixture to be whipped up,.so it is lite and creamy with as much air as you can get incorporated into it...
- as soon as the water hits a full rapid boil, dump the whipped Jello mixture into the boiling water and stir with a wire whisk at the same time (this takes talent!!)
- Whoofph....suddenly the lemon filling is thickened and comes to a full boil...
- Immediately pour the filling out into the baking pan over the 1/2 layer of the cake and spread evenly, sprinkle lemon zest on filling
- Place the other half of the cake on top of the filling and set aside while you make the meringue
- wash the Mixer Bowl with hot water, then rinse with cold and dry it out
- place the 6 egg whites in the bowl
- add 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar and begin to whip on low to med speed
- Increase speed to high and slowly add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, very slowly, after whites have begun to stand, not too soon
- continue whipping the whites for two min after sugar has been incorporated, stiff peaks should form
- Cover the entire cake, in the pan, with meringue...it should come up to the top of the rim on the cake pan, sealing all edges and put in your favorite design...see photo...
- Place cake back in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 min until meringue is a golden brown
- Remove from oven let it cool, take a picture of what you did and in a couple hours call in the kids and family and pig out!!!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 78g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||50%|
|Total Fat 9.34g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.47g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.16g|
|Total Carbs 17.18g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|