Cost per serving $0.48 view details
- Lemon Mousse
- From Barefoot Contessa, Back To Basics
- 3 extra-large whole eggs
- 3 extra large eggs, separated
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate Cups
- I use the 5 ounce paper cups because the inside of the cup is waxed and it will peel off of the chocolate easily. Measure up from the bottom of the cup 2 1/4â³, mark it, then with a sharp scissor, cut the top of the cup off. (For me the 5 ounce cup was just too large as is). You can use any good quality bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate to make the cup. Melt about 16 ounces of chocolate in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring well after each increment. When the chocolate is a smooth consistency, pour it into the cup, filling the entire cup, and then empty the excess back into the bowl. Place into the refrigerator to harden. Once hard, re-melt your chocolate and repeat the process giving the cups a second coat. Place back in the refrigerator to harden again.
- To prepare cups for filling: Using a rubber band to secure it, wrap double thickness parchment paper around the cups so that itâs 1 1/2 inches above the top of the cup.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 15-20 minutes until the mixture is thick like pudding. Take off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours, until completely chilled.
- Place half the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff and shiny. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture with a rubber spatula. Place the cream in the same bowl of the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture.
- Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a large round tip, with the lemon mixture. Pipe it into the prepared cups to the very top. Slide a knife over top of cup to take off excess so top is perfectly flat. Place in refrigerator for several hours to chill.
- Right before serving, using a sieve, dust the top of the mousse with cocoa powder.
- Using a sharp scissor, cut the rubber band to release the parchment paper. Then, carefully snip the top of the cup and peel back the cup. Add any garnish of your choosing.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 73g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 62||34%|
|Total Fat 6.99g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3.91g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.05g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|