I've been wanting to make ricotta pancakes for a long time now. I've seen them made several times but had never tried them. I just thought they sounded interesting. I'll be making them often now.
The key here is to beat the egg whites until stiff and then fold them into the batter. This keeps the batter really light. Also, if you're cooking up the whole batch, keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup cream (can use milk in place of cream and water)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1. If your ricotta is soft and wet, place it in a strainer and let it drain for about 30 minutes. If it's dry, omit this step.
- 2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk your flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- 3. In another bowl, combine your ricotta, lemon zest, egg yolks, vanilla, cream and water.
- 4. Beat the egg whites separately until they form stiff peaks.
- 5. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and still until just combined.
- 6. Add half of egg white mixture and stir in gently. Add the remaining egg whites and gently fold these into the mixture. Do not over mix.
- 7. Heat a large frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter (I added a bit of coconut oil too just to keep the butter from burning) and when melted, add 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until brown on the bottom and then flip to the other side until brown. You may need to adjust the heat of the pan so they cook through before you flip them. To keep them warm while you are cooking up the batch, put them in a 200 degree oven.
- 8. When serving, add pancakes to a plate, squeeze 1/8 wedge of lemon over pancakes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve blueberry sauce on the side.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 168g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 140||50%|
|Total Fat 15.67g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 8.72g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.3g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|