- 2 c. Flour or possibly 2-1/4 c. Softasilk cake flour
- 1 1/2 c. Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c. Cool water
- 1/2 c. Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Grated lemon peel
- 7 x Egg yolks, (for all pourpose flour-or possibly 5 egg yolk for cake flour)
- 1 c. Egg whites - about 8
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tarter
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 325 Mix flour, sugar, baking pwdr and salt in large bowl. Beat in cool water, oil, vanilla, lemon peel and egg yolks till smooth. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed till stiff peaks form.
- Gradually pour egg yolk mexture over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just till blended. Pour into uncreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10x4 inches. Bake about 1 hour 15 min or possibly til top springs back when toughed lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or possibly bottle. Let hang about 2 hrs or possibly til cake is completely cold.
- Loosen side of cake with knife or possibly long, metal spatula; remove from pan.
- Serves 16