Cost per serving $2.39 view details
- 12 oz. roast beef, cubed or cut in strips
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lime
- optional: 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- olive or corn oil
- flour tortillas:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbs. cold butter
- 2 tbs. cold lard or shortening, or just use all butter
- 1/2 cup warm water + a bit more, if needed, or use warm milk
- extra flour
- grilled peppers and onions
- sliced avocados
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Toss the beef with the taco seasoning, some oil, and lime juice, refrigerate.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry tortilla ingredients, stir, add butter and shortening and work it into the dough with a fork (pea size crumbles).
- Add the water, stir, form dough into a ball.
- Flour a work surface.
- Knead the dough a couple of minutes, roll into a ball, put on a plate, cover, let rest an hour.
- Divide dough into 8-10 same-size balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. (If you don't let dough rest, it will contract when you roll it.)
- Heat a large skillet.
- Re-flour work surface.
- Working from the center of each ball, roll it out, turn and repeat the process. You want the disks to be about 7 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Have a warm towel or tortilla holder ready. I use plastic baggies.
- Place one disk in the hot skillet. The tortilla will begin to puff up and brown in places.
- Turn it over and lightly brown on the other side, 30-45 seconds each side.
- Place in a warm towel or container, continue making one tortilla at a time.
- Add a little oil to the skillet, and cook the beef quickly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the beef between the tortillas and serve with condiments.
- Note: I only roll out a few of tortillas at a time, as I live alone, and freeze the rest of the dough balls. Let thaw on the counter, then roll into disks. Cook.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 269g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 285||48%|
|Total Fat 31.91g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 11.75g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.0g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.7g||16%|