Cost per serving $0.71 view details
- 250g (1/2 pound) of pork ground very fine
- 50g (1 1 /2 ounces) Mortadella di Bologna,
- 3 tbsp. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tbsp. ricotta
- dry breadcrumbs to roll the meatballs in
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. powdered cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the Mortadella very fine and place in a mixing bowl. Using your clean hands, mix the meat with the ricotta (or your substitute), 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs, the Reggiano and squish everything together well.
- Zest about 1 tbsp of lemon zest (do this first), then squeeze out about 3 tbsp of the juice. Add 1 tsp. of the zest and half the juice to the meat mixture, along with half a teaspoon powdered cinnamon and the egg. Mix till all is very well amalgamated - you can use a wooden spoon but clean hands are best. Taste or sniff if squeamish (your meat should be fresh enough that you are not the least bit worried about tasting it raw) and adjust seasoning.
- Make sure the ingredients are thoroughly blended, lift and then slap the mixture down several times to lighten the texture - fun and cathartic! Next dampen your hands so the mixture does not stick to your hands and and shape into tiny meatballs, rolling them briefly in breadcrumbs or flour to coat. NB If the mixture seems too soft add grated cheese or very fine breadcrumbs, if it seems too hard, then add more ricotta or butter. And I often omit the breadcrumb rolling.
- Fry them all at once in the olive oil, for about 5 minutes till golden. If you are concerned about fat levels use a non-stick pan and you can get away with very little olive oil
- You can serve them as is with a vegetable or a salas, or on a poutte of cannellini beans, or else place them in tomato sauce and simmer a few minutes, then serve on mashed potatoes.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 104g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 257||80%|
|Total Fat 28.81g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 8.05g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.92g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|