I ran across a link to this recipe on a blog (somewhere) during late spring when it was already hot in Texas, so I have been waiting to try this for months! My version adapted the original recipe with more vegetables, lower sodium ingredients and a dash of pesto like the heavenly vegetable soup served at Panera Bread.
This is so much easier to make than regular lasagna and is scrumptious! It's also a great way to use up leftover vegetables.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 1-14.5 oz. can lower sodium beef broth
- 1 box Lasagna Hamburger Helper
- 1-2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 3 tsp. parsley
- 1-28oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1-6 oz. can lower sodium tomato paste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 bag fresh baby spinach leaves (optional)
- 1-15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1-14.5 oz. can Italian green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Garnish for each bowl:
- Parmesan cheese
- 2% mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 tsp. basil pesto (optional)
- Brown the meat with diced onion, garlic and black pepper. Drain and place in bottom of a dutch oven.
- Add hot water, beef broth and stir in the Hamburger Helper seasoning mix. Add Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and parsley. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, mushrooms and spinach. Stir.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered 10-15 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Add pasta from Hamburger Helper package, corn, green beans and milk and simmer uncovered another 20-30 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired amount of cheese.
- VARIATION: Use 1/2 lb. turkey sausage and 1/2 ground turkey. Add peas, summer squash, or escarole in place of the spinach leaves, or top each bowl with goat cheese with the pesto.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 467g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 69||21%|
|Total Fat 7.68g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2.35g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.16g|
|Total Carbs 29.63g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||23%|