The Husband is delighted this month because it is International recipe month at Carolina HeartStrings and I decided to make one of his favorite things, lasagna. Nothing fancy, just an easy, always tasty recipe, not an authentic Italian recipe I know, but it is delicious! My mother was a great cook and made all kinds of dishes, but she never made lasagna. She made great spaghetti and meatballs. Her sauce was always from scratch and she never measured, yet it always tasted the same and was wonderful. The first time I ate lasagna was at my aunt’s house. My love affair began! My Husband’s mother also never fixed lasagna and he had never tasted it until I made it for him early in our marriage. He was hooked. I hope you like my version or decide to take the recipe and make it your own. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 6 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 16 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and let cool slightly. Brown ground beef and drain off any excess fat. Combine with spaghetti sauce. Cook over low heat for approximately 10 minutes. In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, oregano, basil, garlic and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place the first 4 noodles in the bottom of a 9Ã13 glass pan. Lay noodles side-by-side so that they cover the entire bottom of the pan. Divide the meat/sauce mixture in half. Place half the mixture on the noodles already placed in the pan. Place 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on the meat mixture. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning on the cheese.
- Place 4 noodles on the top of this layer. This layer will be your ricotta layer. Take the ricotta mixture and place it on the noodles, spreading it out evenly to cover the noodles. Place a layer of 4 more noodles over this mixture. Place the remaining meat mixture over the noodles. Once again, place 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on meat mixture.
- Place the remaining 4 noodles on the cheese/meat layer. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup each of mozzarella and cheddar. Sprinkle the cheese with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- Makes 12 servings.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 89g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 150||66%|
|Total Fat 16.78g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 8.81g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.72g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|