Here is another super-crispy fried chicken recipe that we made recently along with a sweet n tangy sauce. We wanted to do a double-fry technique that Korean fried chicken is known for, giving the wings an extra crispy texture and a crackle that's unforgettable to those who have never experienced Korean fried chicken...........full story and recipe at http://www.oliviajasonkim.com
- 24 chicken wings
- canola oil, for frying (peanut oil if available)
- 4 cloves garlic (or garlic powder)
- 2-inch piece peeled ginger (or ginger powder)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1, 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp red chili garlic sauce (or red chili peppers)
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- sesame seeds & scallions (garnish)
- 1. Remove the tip of each chicken wing and cut in half at the joint to create 2 pieces. Rinse pieces under cold water and set to dry for at least 10 minutes. In a heavy pot such as a dutch oven, pour in canola or peanut oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium-high for about 7, 8 minutes or check for a deep-fry thermometer reading of 350Â°F.
- 2. In the meantime, combine sauce ingredients of soy, vinegar, sugar, honey, ketchup, sesame oil, red chili garlic sauce, and the powder seasoning (or adding the pulsed fresh ginger and garlic) in a small sauce pan. Boil until sauce slightly thickens and set at low heat. Adjust the spiciness of the sauce by slowly adding the red chili garlic sauce/red chili peppers and tasting for desired taste.
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup cornstarch and salt and pepper. Individually coat each chicken wing pieces with the cornstarch and set aside.
- 4. In another bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup cornstarch, and 3/4 cup water together to make a runny, liquidy batter. Add each chicken wing one at a time and coat well. Shake off excess batter and fry the chicken in batches for about 10~13 minutes, until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Do not overcrowd the pan when frying each batch.
- 5. Fry half of the chicken wings without the sauce and plate. For the flavored wings, simply coat chicken pieces with a brush or by tossing together in a mixing bowl. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds and thin green onions slices. Enjoy and eat while hot!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 245g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 166||35%|
|Total Fat 18.46g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 4.7g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 58.04g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|