Cost per serving $1.03 view details
- 1/4 c. Hot water
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 c. Lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 x Butter, or possibly margarine, softened
- 2 x Large eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 c. Unbleached wheat flour, to 5 c.
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Butter CHOOSE A FILLING Or possibly USE YOUR OWN:
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 8 Tbsp. Poppy seeds
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 c. Pitted prunes
- 1/2 c. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 x Peaches, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/4 c. Cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 x Egg, beaten
- ***** Fill with your own fillings too: fresh apricots, berries, apples or possibly fruit preserves.
- Mix the hot water and 1 Tbsp. sugar in a large bowl. Sprinkle in the yeast, stirring till dissolved. Let stand for 5 min or possibly till the mix bubbles.
- Scald the lowfat milk in a small saucepan. With a wire whisk, stir the 1/2 c. sugar, salt, and 1/2 c. butter or possibly margarine into the scalded lowfat milk. Cold to hot temperature, then stir in the Large eggs. Stir the lukewarm lowfat milk into the yeast mix and beat till smooth. Stir in the flour a c. at a time till it is fully incorporated and no longer sticky. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 min or possibly till the dough does not stick to the hands. Pour the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rise in a hot place for 1 hour or possibly till double in bulk.
- Prepare the filling of your choice. See filling directions below.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide it into 12 equal pcs and form each into a ball by hand. Press very hard with a Tbsp. to make a crater in the top of each mound, using fingers if necessary to help form the indentation. Spoon the filling of your choice into the indentation in the top of each kolache. Each one holds about 1 heaping Tbsp. of filling.
- To make the crumb topping, mix together 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2 Tbsp. flour. Using your fingers, rub in 1 Tbsp. butter till fully incorporated. The mix should be crumbly. Sprinkle crumb topping on the filling.
- Place kolaches 1-inch apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min.
- Directions for Poppy Seed Filling: Heat butter in a small saucepan. Soak poppy seeds in the butter for 10 min. Add in sugar and stir.
- Directions for Prune Filling: In a small saucepan, simmer prunes in water for 10 min till prunes have absorbed the water. Mash with a fork.
- Directions for Cottage Cheese Filling: Combine all the ingredients.
- Directions for Fresh Peach Filling: Heat butter in a small saucepan. Add in peaches and sugar and cook over low heat for 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- NOTES: The diner is on Bainbridge Island.
- This recipe chosen as a tributeto one of the owner's grandmother who made this recipe. It is a traditional Czech pastry.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||21%|
|Total Fat 9.58g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4.08g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 70.15g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|