- 30 x kumquats
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 c. toasted and grnd almonds
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 c. melted sweet butter
- 6 x egg yolks
- 2 c. sweetened condensed lowfat milk
- 1 3/4 c. key lime juice
- 1/4 c. candied kumquat seeds and pulp discarded, minced small
- Put the fruit in a heavy sauce pan and cover the fruit with cold water. Now place the pan on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, drain. Put the fruit in a bowl of ice water and allow to cold. Now remove the fruit from the ice water and set it aside on a towel.
- Place the fruit on a cutting board and trim off both ends of the fruit. In a small saucepan mix together the sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer. Skim as necessary and add in the fruit. Simmer 50 to 60 min, stirring occasionally to make sure the fruit is not sticking to the bottom. Take the fruit out and separate on a plate lined with parchment paper. Reserve and use as desired.
- Graham Cracker-Nut Pie Crust: Combine all of the above ingredients together in a bowl. Now press them firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch pie pan.
- Filling: Whip the egg yolks till thick and pale yellow (about 5 min). Pour in the condensed lowfat milk and the kumquats. Slowly add the key lime juice. Pour into the pie crust and bake 10 to 12 min.
- Cold for 1 hour and then refrigeratecompletely. Serve as desired.
- This recipe yields 1 ten-inch pie