Cost per serving $2.66 view details
- 12 x very large scallops or possibly 18 regular sized scallops
- 2 Tbsp. butter Pea Pancake With Fennel Emulsion
- 2 c. fresh green peas
- 1/4 c. extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 x egg
- 1 c. dry peas
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 1 x salt and pepper, to taste The Fennel Emulsion
- 1 x bulb fennel, finely, sliced, (reserve green fronds for garnish)
- 1 x shallot, finely, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. white wine
- 1 Tbsp. grnd fennel, seed salt, to taste The Citrus Vinaigrette juice and zest of one lime juice and zest of one lemon juice and zest of one blood orange
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x shakes tabasco sauce salt, to taste The Pink Grapefruit Salad
- 2 c. peas, shoots
- 1 lrg grapefruit, peeled, and, sectioned The Plate! fresh chives
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut scallops horizontally into several slices each.
- On a small piece of wax paper arrange scallop slices in a circle, overlapping slices all the way around. Pat scallop ring dry.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet.
- At the last moment carefully transfer and invert the scallop ring to the warm butter. Sear scallops for a few moments till cooked through then carefully remove the paper. Transfer the ring to the plate.
- Pea Pancake With Fennel Emulsion:Using a coffee bean grinder grind the dry peas into a fine pwdr.
- Sift together pea flour, baking pwdr, pepper and salt. Whisk together the lowfat milk and Large eggs.
- Place fresh peas in a food processor, and pulse briefly just sufficient to chop the peas into chunks. Do not process into a puree.
- In a bowl, combine pureed fresh peas and grnd dry peas.
- Add in the egg mix, and stir till the ingredients are just combined and still slightly lumpy.
- Chill the batter for 60 min.
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Using about 2 Tbsp. of batter for each pancake, spoon the batter onto the skillet to create 6 pancakes.
- Cook till the pancakes are lightly browned and crispy around the edges, turn, and cook on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to create 6 more pancakes (for a total of 12 pancakes).
- Set aside and cold.
- The Fennel Emulsion:Heat 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Lower heat to medium low, and sweat fennel and shallot by cooking them through without allowing them to brown. This will take about fifteen min.
- Add in white wine and simmer fennel till very tender.
- Puree fennel in a blender, adding several Tbsp. of water if mix is too thick.
- Strain mix through a fine mesh strainer and return to saucepan. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. Keep hot.
- The Citrus Vinaigrette:Place juice and zest of lemon, lime and blood orange in a non-reactive saucepan over low heat. Simmer till reduced to a syrup, then strain mix through a fine mesh strainer and transfer to a bowl.
- Add in mustard, extra virgin olive oil, warm sauce and salt, and whisk till well blended.
- The Pink Grapefruit Salad:To section grapefruit, slice the top and bottom off the grapefruit so it sits firmly on the countertop. Starting at the top of the grapefruit with a sharp paring knife in hand, slice off the skin in strips from top to bottom. When all skin is removed remove fruit segments. Slice knife along each side of natural divisions within grapefruit and the segments will fall out, still intact.
- Place pea shoots in a salad bowl and toss with grapefruit segments and Citrus Vinaigrette.
- The Plate!:Ladle 1/4 c. / 60 ml of fennel emulsion onto plate. Place a pancake in the centre of plate, and carefully place scallop ring on top of pancake. Top scallops with salad, and finish with fresh chives.
- Timing: Prepare pancake batter several hrs before hand, and store in refrigerator. Salad can be prepared ahead of time, and assembled just before serving. Fennel emulsion can be made the day before and refrigerated, then reheated before serving. Prepare and chill scallop ring in advance, but fry just before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 332g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 263||55%|
|Total Fat 29.67g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 6.62g||26%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.46g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|