This delicious cake has a hint of mint and mocha. I adapted it from the Chocolate Cake recipe on the back of the Hershey’s powdered cocoa box. The added ingredients and alterations in preparation make for a better tasting and better textured cake.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups unbleached flour (King Arthur)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A couple dashes cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Â¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee (freshly brewed)
- 1-1/2 tsp. chopped chocolate mint from fresh mint leaves (I use a sharp Santoku knife and chop in a little sugar until pasty)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate melted in microwave according to package instructions
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- Cake Directions:
- Pre-Heat oven to 350Â°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or place parchment paper on bottom of pans. (I use parchment paper)
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar and oil and butter. Add eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly between additions.
- Add milk and vanilla to mix and beat on medium speed until mixed. Add dry ingredients to liquid batter a little at a time until well blended. Add chopped mint and mix on medium until blended.
- Stir in hot coffee by hand. Batter will be thin. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (Check after first 20 minutes. You donât want the cake to become dry) Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frosting Directions:
- After the chocolate square is melted, add the butter and microwave another 20 seconds until butter is melted. Using a rubber spatula, place mixture in a larger bowl. Stir in cocoa. Add coffee and mint and stir. Gradually add powdered sugar and continue stirring until desired consistency is reached. If you need more liquid, add a small amount of milk until desired consistency is reached. About 2 cups frosting.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 199g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 207||33%|
|Total Fat 23.55g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 10.85g||43%|
|Trans Fat 0.14g|
|Total Carbs 99.88g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|