Here is one simple recipe I consider as a Japanese “National” snack that will have all vegans and vegetarians rushing for:
Ume-Shiso Kyuuri/Cucumber, Pickled Plums & Perilla Salad!
Ingredients might not be easy to find, although they are probably available on the Internet under various forms.
- Cucumbers. If possible, Japanese style, long, thin and crunchy
- Shiso/perilla leaves: 4
- Umeboshi/Japanese pickled plums (there are salty and slightly sweet varieties. Either is fine!)
- Salt: 2 small pimches
- Sesame oil: a little
- -Wash cucmbers under running clear water and wipe them thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- -Cut both ends of cucumbers and discard. Tight-seal cucumbers inside a vynil pouch and break (instead of cutting) them roughly into bite-sized pieces by hitting them with pestle over a kitchen wooden board.
- -Discard pip/stone inside umeboshi and cut into small pieces.
- Cut the shiso into very thin strips.
- -In a bowl, mix thoroughly by hand cucumber, umeboshi and shiso.
- Add salt an sesame oil. Stir and serve.
- Note: Will be very tasty after being chilled inside the fridge.
- The best umeboshi for this recipe are the sweet ones pickled into honey.
- Make sure that the cucumber are dry after first washing them or the dish will be running with water.
- I personally add some sesame seeds for effect and taste!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 288g|
|Calories from Fat 5||6%|
|Total Fat 0.63g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.04g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.38g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|