Jan's Chicago Chili Recipe
I have tweaked and developed this recipe over 30 years. I think you will love it, as does all my family. It is a complete, healthy and satisfying meal.
Servings: 24 1.5 Cups each
- 4 pounds of Ground Beef, get the best beef you can afford
- 1 pound of Ground Pork
- 8 medium SWEET Onions (Vandaliaâs are the best, but when not in season, do the best you can), chopped very small
- 2 Green Peppers, chopped very small
- 2 Large ribs of Celery, chopped very small
- 1 bottle of Chili Sauce (by the ketchup section) (**secret ingredient)
- 4 Cans (1 pound, 12 oz each) of DICED tomatoes (7 pounds total)
- 8 Cans (15 Â½ oz each) beans, (8 pounds total), DRAINED! I usually get 2 cans each of light red kidney beans, dark red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans
- 1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
- Â¼ C finely diced jalapeno peppers, (the kind you put on nachos, secret ingredient)
- Â¼ C sugar (**secret ingredient)
- 4 T FRESH Chili powder (donât spoil your recipe using old spices, just not worth it)
- 2 T Kosher Salt (I only use Kosher Salt for everythingâ¦no plastic in it like Mortonâs)
- 1 T FRESH Garlic powder
- 1 T Cinnamon
(you can adjust any of the spices for your individual preference)
Cook and stir ground beef and pork in a large fry pan.
When brown, I take an old fashion turkey baster to suck out all of the fat, you will suck off about 1 Â½ C of fat that you do not want in your chili!!
In Â¼ C olive oil, sautÃ© onion, peppers, and celery in VERY LARGE stock pot till veggies are tender.
Add meat to that VERY LARGE stock pot.
Stir in Chili Sauce, diced tomatoes, reserved bean liquid, sauce, and seasonings. Do not add beans at this time.
Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered.
Now add beans.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until desired consistency.
Note the wonderful fragrance throughout the house!!! Might even get strangers knocking on your door!
Makes 24 servings (1 Â½ cups each) or about 8 Quarts. Freezes great for those drop in guests!
Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and/or fresh Jalapenos, and Oyster crackers.
Serve with GREAT French (Baguettes) bread/butter and a great beer!
Think of me when you partake and I will be forever happy!!
I live to cook!!
How good does this recipe look to you?