- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped canned chipotle chilies
- 1 bn green onions coarsely minced (abt 1 1/2 c.)
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 sm habanero chili seeded, minced (or possibly 2 medium jalapeno chilies)
- 1 x garlic clove peeled
- 1/2 c. golden sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1 tsp grnd allspice
- 2 lb grnd beef (15% fat)
- 6 x sesame-seed hamburger buns toasted
- 1 x onion thinly sliced
- 3 x tomatoes sliced
- 6 x romaine lettuce leaves
- For Orange-Chipotle Mayonnaise: Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Jerk Sauce: Finely chop first 4 ingredients in processor. Add in sugar and next 3 ingredients; process till almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the Burgers: Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Set aside 3/4 c. jerk sauce. Shape grnd beef into six 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick patties; place in 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 c. jerk sauce over patties and turn to coat; let stand 20 min.
- Sprinkle patties with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness, brushing occasionally with remaining jerk sauce, about 4 min per side for medium.
- Spread mayonnaise over cut surfaces of buns. Place burgers on bottom halves of buns. Top with onion slices, tomato slices, lettuce, and bun tops. Serve, passing reserved 3/4 c. jerk sauce separately.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.