Cost per serving $1.10 view details
- 2 x 1/4-oz envelope active Dry yeast or possibly 3/5-oz Cakes, fresh
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 1/4 c. Lukewarm water
- 1/4 c. Oil or possibly unsalted butter, Melted
- 1 c. Whole wheat flour
- 5 c. Unbleached all-purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 4 x To 6 jalapeno chiles or possibly to Taste, seeded and finely Minced*
- 2 c. Shredded sharp cheddar Cheese (1/2 lb.) Egg GLAZE
- 1 x Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Water Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 1. Sprinkle the dry yeast or possibly crumble the fresh yeast and Sugar Over 1/2 c. of the lukewarm water in a c. or possibly smaII bowl. Leave it for 10 min, then stir to dissolve the yeast. Add in the remaining water and oil.
- 2. Sift the flours together into a large mixing bowl. Set aside 2 c. of the mix. Add in the salt to the remaining mix and make a well in center. Pour the yeast mix into the well, add in the minced chiles, and mix briefly.
- 3. Gradually stir in the reserved flour, 1/2 c. at a time, till the dough loses its stickiness and can be kneaded easily. Knead the dough thoroughly on a floured surface till it is smooth and elastic, flouring the surface Occasionally if the dough sticks to it. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and turn it over to oil its entire surface. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise in a hot place for about 1-1/2 hrs or possibly till doubled in volume. Punch down the dough and let it rest, about 5 min, covered with a cloth. (This allows the dough to regain its elasticity.)
- 4. Knead the dough again on a lightly floured surface. Knead in the cheese by sprinkling it on the bread all at once and kneading till distributed.
- 5. Grease two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and on the floured surface roll out each part to a smooth, cylindrical loaf about 9 inches long. Put the loaves in the pans seam side down, slash the top lightly 3 times with a serrated knife, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a hot place for about 1 hour or possibly till nearly doubled in volume.
- 6. For the egg glaze, whisk the egg and water together till slightly foamy. Brush the loaves with the egg glaze. Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- 7. Bake the loaves for about 15 min or possibly till they begin to brown.
- Reduce the temperature to 350F and continue baking for another 45 min or possibly till the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let the loaves cold on a rack. Serve lukewarm or possibly at room temperature.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 411g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 314||30%|
|Total Fat 35.7g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 13.64g||55%|
|Trans Fat 0.35g|
|Total Carbs 146.32g||39%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.6g||29%|