Cost per serving $1.52 view details
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion, finely minced
- 2 med clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 sm zucchini
- Â Â quartered lengthwise
- Â Â (1/4 inch of white center parts removed
- Â Â and reserved for another use)
- Â Â remainder thinly sliced
- 30 ounce canned vegetable broth
- 1 c. uncooked Arborio rice
- 3 med plum tomatoes
- Â Â seeded and finely diced
- 1/3 c. shredded fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grnd pepper
- Â Â Shaved Parmesan cheese for serving
- Â Â (optional)
- 6 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- This soup gets its porridge like consistency from short-grain Arborio rice.
- Because it thickens on standing, its best to serve it right away. Parmesan cheese is salty, so if you omit it you may need to add in more salt
- MEAL PLAN: While rice is simmering, toss up a big mixed green salad with sliced cucumbers and wedges of avocado and dress with a natural, low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. For an Italian-style dessert, serve almond biscotti.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, till softened, about 7 min. Add in zucchini and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Pour in broth and 2 c. water. Stir in rice. Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer till rice is tender, 18 to 20 min.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 min; soup will thicken slightly. Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan if you like and serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 335g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||14%|
|Total Fat 2.75g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.43g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.57g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|