This is a nice rice and beans dish that is similar to risotto. It is rich and creamy. We've made the lacto-ovo vegetarian version but it can easily be adapted to vegan with some simple substitutions.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup of long grain white or brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or vegetable stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 package (8 oz.)of frozen green beans, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the EVOO in a large saucepan or deep skillet over medium
- heat for about a minute. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and basil and cook, stirring for a minute or two. Add in the vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, Parmesan and 1/4 cup of the half-and-half. Cover again and cook for another 5 minutes or until green beans are tender.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, cannellini beans and remaining half-and-half**. Reduce the heat to low and allow to cook about 5 minutes more, until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley just before plating.
- Note: When using regular rice versus the quick cook rice, we like to boil it for about 10 minutes before incorporating it into the recipe. This ensures that the rice will be fully cooked
- by the time the dish is complete.
- Veganize it! - Substitute 2 or 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast for the Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of Silk Creamer for the half-and-half.
- Serve with Italian bread and a nice green salad!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 239g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 60||31%|
|Total Fat 6.77g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.24g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.1g||27%|