The inspiration for this recipe came from the fresh lemon basil I discovered at my local supermarket. I already had the pork chops and roasted red peppers and figured the basil would fit right in...and I was right. Lemon basil, unlike the regular basil has a wonderful hint of citrus that reminds me a little of how lemongrass enhances Thai dishes. Baking the chops with the lemon basil layered above and below truly infuses the chops, which have already been marinated, with an awesome flavor boost. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Please keep in mind that the nutritional value shown is incorrect...there's no way that one serving is 781 calories.
- 4 boneless pork chops (cut slightly thick)
- 1 1/2 cup Italian dressing (preferably Robusto)
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers
- 1/2 sweet onion,sliced thinly
- 16 lemon basil leaves
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Marinade the pork chops in the Italian dressing for at least 8 hours. Reserve the marinade.
- Slice the roasted red peppers into 1/2 inch strips to line the bottom of baking dish, creating a bed for the pork chops.
- Place leaves of lemon basil on top of the roasted red pepper strips.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade and season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Place pork chops in the baking dish on top of the roasted red peppers and lemon basil.
- Top with sweet onions, remaining roasted red pepper strips and lemon basil leaves.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done, pork chops should be tender.
- As the pork chops are cooking, place the remaining marinade into a saucepan.
- Mix corn starch and water and add to the marinade, bring to a boil. After about 7 minutes the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Remove the pork chops from the baking dish when done using a spatula to get the red pepper and basil from underneath and plated. Top the pork chops with thickened marinade.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 257g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 267||65%|
|Total Fat 30.09g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 5.68g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.78g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|