My BFF, Sunny, was coming for dinner with her husband and I was making pork tenderloin with blueberry balsamic sauce, but what to serve as a side dish? She adores Mac & Cheese, so I wanted to serve what she loves. Not being a big fan of traditional mac & cheese, I searched for a recipe that would make us both happy. The two cheeses are main-stays in my refrigerator, so I used them to make it "Italian". It's the perfect combination and a winner!
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter (4oz)
- 1/4 cup plus 4 T flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 lb. mini Rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare Rigatoni according to directions, but cook al dente because it will be finished off in the oven.
- While pasta is cooking, make cheese sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until smooth, 2 minutes.
- Keep stirring and gradually add milk and half/half. Stir until smooth.
- Simmer mixture until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, approx. 10 min.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and cheeses. Season with salt.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and put back in pot.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked Rigatoni in pot
- Pour pasta and cheese sauce into a greased 13X9 inch baking dish.
- Smooth out top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Dot top with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 269g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 381||61%|
|Total Fat 43.23g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 26.27g||105%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.73g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|