This is a print preview of "Italian Herb Focaccia With 3 Cheeses And Caramelized Onions" recipe.
Italian Herb Focaccia With 3 Cheeses And Caramelized Onions Recipe
2 c. water (at 70 degrees)
2 tsp rapid-rise yeast
4 c. bread or possibly all-purpose flour (to 4 1/2)
1 Tbsp. sea salt
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil plus additional for coating dough
- Place water and dry yeast in a 5-qt Kitchen Aid mixer bowl. Let sit 5 min.
- Scoop in bread flour, and add in salt and 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil. Mix 6-7 min. Dough will be sticky but manageable. Cover dough well with extra virgin olive oil and a damp cloth.
- When the dough has risen, take it out of the bowl and place on a 15-inch-by-10-inch baking sheet which has been coated with extra virgin olive oil. Push the dough outward with your hands. Let the dough rest and repeat till the dough totally covers the baking sheet and doesn't spring back.
- Let the dough rest on the baking sheet till it reaches double its size. While waiting, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 onions, sliced and caramelized (see note)
- 3/4 c. shredded Asiago cheese3/4 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese3/4 c. shredded Gruyere cheese2 Tbsp. Italian herb seasoning
- When dough has doubled in size, use your fingertips to dimple the dough. Spread caramelized onions, cheeses and herb seasoning on top of dough, and push into the dough. Let the dough rise again till it comes up and over all the ingredients on top. Brush extra virgin olive oil on top, and bake in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 min or possibly till golden. Let cold. Slice and serve.
- Note: To caramelize onions, heat 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a medium saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add in onions and cook, stirring till onions are translucent/soft. Sprinkle onions with 1 Tbsp. sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook till onions are very soft and well caramelized.