So, I'm not sure why these are Irish, but I found this recipe and thought I would give it a go. I had to make some changes, such as swapping out the shortening for real butter, and coating with green sugar.
I was pleasantly surprised with the texture and taste-they are kind of like mini spice cake cookies.
Give them a whirl...if you're feeling lucky! ( :
- 1 cup white sugar (I used Splenda Sugar blend which translates to 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Cream sugar, egg, salt and butter together. Add flour, baking soda and spices. Mix well. Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and dip in sugar, place on cookie sheet sugar side up.
- 3. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.Cool on wire racks.
- *if the dough feels a bit "gooey", add a bit more flour-about 2 tablespoons
- *as these are a bit golden colored before baking, do not rely on color to tell you when they are done. Mine took 8 minutes exactly and you can smell the spices when they were done.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 617g|
|Calories from Fat 874||34%|
|Total Fat 99.44g||124%|
|Saturated Fat 60.23g||241%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 395.8g||106%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.1g||30%|