This is an incredibly tasty Indian style mixed vegetable dish with extra protein from tofu. The flavors come primarily from the roasted seeds, asafetida, curry masala powders, onions & garlic. It is relatively low in carbs as is and high in protein and fiber. It is also moderately low in fat and you can cut the fat even further by halving the oil. If you prefer, you can add some healthy complex carbs by consuming it with brown rice, quinoa or your favorite flat bread.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon compounded asafetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4-5 dried red chili peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chana or garam masala powder (tip: find a masala brand and type that you like b/c the taste varies greatly)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon(s) of salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- hot chili powder to taste
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbps of ginger/garlic paste
- 3 cups of organic frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, peas)
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 10 ounces of firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat the canola oil in a stir fry pan and roast the mustard, cumin, sesame seeds, turmeric & asafetida for about a minute. Take care not to burn the seeds and cover the oil roast with a splatter screen to contain the popping seeds.
- Add the finely chopped onions, bay leaf, and dried chili peppers. Saute for about 3 minutes until the onions begin to become translucent. Add the ginger/garlic paste and continue to saute for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables and continue to saute for 5 more minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Add the tomato paste, salt and the masala at this point.
- Add the tofu pieces and continue to stir fry for up to 5 more minutes until desired vegetable tenderness.
- Add more salt, black pepper, or chili powder to taste.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 352g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 95||34%|
|Total Fat 10.79g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1.14g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 38.96g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.1g||34%|