Cost per serving $2.09 view details
- 3 Tbsp. butter more for griddle
- 1 x red onion thinly-sliced
- 3/4 lb red cabbage head quartered, cored,
- Â Â and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar plus
- 1Â 1/2 tsp sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 lrg Granny Smith apple peeled, halved,
- Â Â cored, and thinly sliced
- Â Â Dijon mustard to taste
- 8 slc hearty rye bread
- 2Â 1/2 ounce Gruyere cheese slices
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is sizzling, add in the onion and cook, stirring often, till softened but not brown, about 4 min. Add in the cabbage and vinegar. Cook gently, covered, till the cabbage is tender but still textured, about 12 min. Add in 2 Tbsp. of sugar, the caraway seeds, salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently 5 min longer, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Toss the apple slices with the remaining 1 1/2 tsp. of sugar in a large bowl. Heat 1 Tbsp. of butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter starts to brown, add in the apple. Cook till golden brown and tender but still intact, about 6 to 8 min, stirring often.
- To assemble, generously spread Dijon mustard on 4 bread slices. Cover the mustard with the hot apple. Cover the apples with a cheese slice. Divide the hot cabbage equally among the remaining 4 slices of bread. Place a cheese slice on the cabbage. Leave the sandwiches open-faced for cooking; then close after cooking.
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat the griddle over medium heat and lightly butter. Place 2 open-faced sandwiches on the griddle. Cook, tented with foil, till the cheese is melted, about 4 min. Close the sandwich, pressing it lightly together. Turn it over and place on a baking sheet. Keep hot in the oven while cooking the remaining sandwiches. Serve hot.
- This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 252g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 147||39%|
|Total Fat 16.75g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 9.27g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 46.0g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.0g||23%|