These are a very soft cake-style cookie. They are a wonderful fall treat. I have used canned pumpkin in place of the squash puree, as well as pumpkin butter. The icing is just right - not too sweet. The eggnog mellows out the sweetness of the powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup butternut squash puree or canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup currants
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 Tbsp eggnog - soy or regullar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spice and salt. Whisk to blend.
- Using a mixer, combine the margarine or butter and the sugars. Blend well. Add puree, egg and vanilla and blend to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients, then the currants.
- Use a small portion scoop to place mounds of the batter on a greased or Silpat lined cookie sheet, spacing at least 2 inches apart. Alternately, use a heaping tablespoon to portion batter - you want about 2 Tbsp batter per cake.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until the cakes are set and the edges are lightly browned. Do not underbake. Remove cookie sheet from oven and let the cakes cool for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Let cool while you prepare icing.
- Icing: Combine the milk and the margarine and warm to melt the margarine. Place the powdered sugar in a bowl and whisk in the eggnog and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth, adding a drop or two of eggnog if needed. This is an icing, not a frosting, so you want it to be thin but thick enough to stay on the cake. Dip the top of each cooled cake in the icing. Place on a cooling rack and let set until the icing is set.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 55g|
|Recipe makes 25 servings|
|Calories from Fat 42||21%|
|Total Fat 4.77g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.05g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.76g|
|Total Carbs 37.6g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|