"The only thing certain about the origins of chili is that it did not originate in Mexico...Chili, as we know it in the U.S., cannot be found in Mexico today except in a few spots which cater to tourists. If chili had come from Mexico, it would still be there. For Mexicans, especially those of Indian ancestry, do not change their culinary customs from one generation, or even from one century, to another."
- Charles Ramsdell
This recipe is closer to a Brunswick Stew, but still favors the romantic illusions of Chili.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- Â½ cup poblano or hatch chillies, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb flank or skirt steak, medium diced
- Â½ lb duck or goose, diced
- Â½ lb rabbit, diced
- 3 strips bacon, raw and chopped
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- Â¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dark ale or lager
- 4 6 inch corn tortillas, torn or chopped
- Peel and chop the onion to measure 1 cup. Peel and slice the garlic.
- In a 8-quart pot, saute the bacon, duck, rabbit, and beef, after meat starts to brown add onion, chillies, and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, curry, salt, cayenne pepper and tomatoes with their liquid. After 3 minutes add chicken stock and ale.
- Heat the mixture to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cover with lid; cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 1 Â½ cups of liquid, pour in blender add tortillas and churn 5 â 10 seconds on pulse.
- Pour blended mixture into pot, and heat to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness. If necessary add more stock or ale to desired thickness.
- Add cilantro 1 minute before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 316g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 316||59%|
|Total Fat 35.19g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 8.87g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.46g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|