This is a print preview of "Hummus Bi Tahini (Chick Pea And Sesame Puree)" recipe.
Hummus Bi Tahini (Chick Pea And Sesame Puree) Recipe
1 c. Chick peas
3 c. Water
1/3 c. Tahini
1/2 c. Lemon juice
2 x Cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
Paprika or possibly cayenne pepper
- Wash chick peas well, cover with the water and soak for 12 hrs or possibly overnight.
- Boil gently for 2 hrs in the water in that they were soaked, add in 1 tsp. salt and cook till very tender, about 3 hrs in all. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid and 1 Tbsp. of the peas.
- Press peas through a sieve or possibly food mill, adding about 2 Tbsp. of the cooking liquid to separate the last of the peas from the skins.
- Slowly blend the tahini and most of the lemon juice into the puree.
- Crush garlic with 1/2 tsp. salt in a mortar and add in to puree.
- Adjust flavour and consistency with lemon juice or possibly cooking liquid and add in salt if necessary. Hummus should be thick and smooth.
- Spread in a shallow serving dish, swirling it with back of a spoon. Pour extra virgin olive oil in centre and garnish with reserved chick peas, minced parsley and a sprinkling of paprika or possibly cayenne pepper.
- Makes 3 c..
- Cooking Time: 3hours Blender or possibly food processor method: Puree peas to separate skins, add in to container or possibly processor bowl with remaining ingredients, holding back some lemon juice and salt to adjust flavour. Blend or possibly process till thick and smooth.
- Note: Even if using a modern appliance the chick peas must be separated from their skins for a successful hummus.
- Preparation time can be shortened by removing the skins either after the initial soaking, or possibly after boiling.