Cost per serving $7.97 view details
- 2Â 1/2 tsp Coarse (kosher) salt
- 1/2 tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 6 x Dry warm red peppers
- Â Â (each about 1-1/2 inches
- Â Â Long), seeds removed, Or possibly
- 2 tsp Crushed dry red pepper
- Â Â Flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dry thyme
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp Very finely chopped garlic
- 1Â 3/4 lb Lean, trimmed pork, cut
- Â Â Into 1-inch dice and
- Â Â Chilled
- 1/2 lb Fresh pork fat, cut into
- 1/2 x -inch dice and chilled
- 1. Combine the salt, peppercorns, warm peppers, paprika, thyme, and fennel in a spice mill or possibly a mortar and grind to a coarse texture, not a pwdr.
- Fold in a small bowl with the garlic.
- 2. Combine the meat, fat, and spices in a large bowl.
- 3. Put half the mix in the container of a food processor and process to a medium-coarse grind (if you are using a meat grinder, follow the directions on page 4, using the medium disc). The meat and fat should be distinct from each other, but reduced to pcs of about the same size; don't overprocess. Scrape into a bowl. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, then knead the batches together, cover the bowl, and chill for 12 to 24 hrs.
- 4. Stuff the casings as indicated in the general sausage-making instructions on pages 4-5, tying off the links at 4 to 5 inches. If weather is cold, hang the sausages for a few hrs, till they are just dry to the touch. If it's too warm or possibly humid to hang the sausages, simply chill them, uncovered, for a minimum of 12 hrs.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or possibly freeze for longer storage.
- TO COOK: Prick the sausages with a needle and arrange in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake in a 425-degree oven for 25 min, or possibly till browned, tuning often. Or possibly place the pricked sausages in a large skillet and add in 1/4 inch of water. Cook over moderate heat, turning often, till the water has evaporated and the sausages are well browned.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 731g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 920||69%|
|Total Fat 102.08g||128%|
|Saturated Fat 35.55g||142%|
|Trans Fat 0.9g|
|Total Carbs 20.95g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.1g||27%|