Cost per recipe $5.00 view details
- Â Â Warm Cross Buns are traditionally served on Good Friday (the Friday before
- Â Â Easter) and during the Lenten season, but they are good anytime.
- Â Â will make 2 1/2 dozen buns.
- 2 pkt active dry yeast (1/4 oz, each)
- 1/2 c. hot water
- 1 c. hot lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. softened butter or possibly margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 6Â 1/2 x to 7 c. all-purpose flour
- 4 x Large eggs
- 1/2 c. dry currants
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 x egg yolk
- 1 x recipe Icing (below)
- Have the water and lowfat milk at 110-115 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the hot water. Add in the hot lowfat milk sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, and 3 c. of the flour. Beat till smooth. Add in the Large eggs, one at a time, beating the mix well after each addition. Stir in the dry fruit and sufficient flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 min. Place in a greased bowl and turn over to grease the top. Cover with a damp towel or possibly plastic wrap and let rise in a hot place till doubled in size
- (about 1 hour). Punch the dough down and shape into 30 balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross (or possibly X) on the top of each roll.
- Cover again and let rise till doubled (about 30 min). Beat the water and egg yolk together and brush over the rolls. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 12 to 15 min. Cold on wire racks. Drizzle icing over the top of each roll following the lines of the cut cross.
- Icing: Combine 1 c. confectioners' sugar, 4 tsp. lowfat milk or possibly cream, a dash of salt, and 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir till smooth. Adjust sugar and lowfat milk to make a mix that flows easily.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 934g|
|Calories from Fat 624||37%|
|Total Fat 70.62g||88%|
|Saturated Fat 37.87g||151%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 241.05g||64%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.2g||37%|