Cost per serving $0.34 view details
- 500 gm Large, raw prawns, with shells (1lb)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 125 gm Watercress, (4oz)
- 50 gm Oyster or possibly button mushrooms, (2oz)
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- 1Â 1/4 lt Cool water, (2 pints)
- 3 x Tamarind slices
- 2 sm Dry red chillies, (2 to 4)
- 2 x Kaffir lime leaves
- 2Â 1/2 x Cm, (1inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 5 x Cm, (2inch) piece of fresh or possibly dry galingale
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass, cut into 3
- 1 med -size onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 600 ml Strong but clear chicken or possibly vegtable, or possibly water, if stock, necessary (1 pint)
- Peel and de-vein the prawns. Wash the prawns, and the shells, very thoroughly. Put the prawns on a plate, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and keep in the fridge till needed. Reserve the shells.
- Put the water into a large saucepan with the prawn shells and all the ingredients for the stock except the extra liquid. Bring this to the boil and simmer for 20-30 min. By this time the stock will be very fragrant from the lemon grass and other aromatic ingredients.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve, or possibly a sieve lined with muslin, into another large saucepan. Throw away the solids. Add in the extra stock or possibly water, if used (this additional liquid is needed if the soup is to serve six people). Keep aside to reheat later.
- While the warm and sour stock is brewing, prepare the vegetables. Pick the watercress leaves off the stems as you wash them.
- Shred the oyster mushrooms finely. Put the clear, srained stock back on the heat; turn the heat up and bring the stock to a rolling boil, then add in the prawns, mushrooms and coriander leaves.
- Let the mix boil for 3 min, add in the watercress and the fish sauce.
- Cook the soup for just one more minute, then serve immediately.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 355g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 5||167%|
|Total Fat 0.63g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.07g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs -1.62g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|