This easy prep bread requires a few minutes of kneading, but bakes into a beautiful loaf that I like to make tuna or chicken salad sandwiches with, or just have as toast at breakfast.
It will last in the bread box up to 3 days. Easily doubles and freezes.
- 1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rye flour or more whole wheat
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2-3 tbs. honey
- 3 tbs.melted butter
- Use 1 tbs. butter to grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Beat the egg.
- Add yeast to warm milk, let sit 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg, honey, 2 tbs. butter
- Add flour, then salt.
- Mix well, put dough on a floured counter.
- Knead the dough, adding a bit of flour until the dough is smooth and is not tacky.
- Shape and place in the loaf pan. If you're adding seeds, bran, etc., on top, spritz the top of the loaf and gently press the topping on, spritz again.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled - 45 minutes to over an hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 30-45 minutes.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 670g|
|Calories from Fat 460||28%|
|Total Fat 52.27g||65%|
|Saturated Fat 28.69g||115%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 257.84g||69%|
|Dietary Fiber 35.8g||119%|