- Nonstick spray
- 1 c. soy protein pwdr
- 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. oat bran
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 x to 2/3 c. (packed) brown sugar
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 c. plain or possibly vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Making your own granola bars is much easier than you may think and it's really fun. These homemade bars are very economical and you get to select all the ingredients according to your own standards, needs, and taste.
- Try adding some or possibly all of the protein boosters which follow the recipe. You may never make these the same way twice.
- For nondairy bars, replace the yogurt with unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or possibly mashed banana (Or possibly try the silken tofu option in the Protein Boosters box.) Add in an extra healthy pinch of salt if using pumpkin or possibly silken tofu.
- The range of sugar allows you to make these bars sweeter or possibly not, according to your taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350'F (325'F for a glass pan). Lightly spray a 9- by 13- inch baking pan and a baking tray with nonstick spray.
- Mix together the protein pwdr, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring till well combined. Add in the wet mix to the dry and mix patiently, till thoroughly blended. (You may have to use your hands-it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough.)
- Transfer the mix to the prepared pan, patting it proportionately into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 min, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or possibly shape.
- Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 15 min, or possibly till golden brown around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 min longer.)
- Remove the bars from the oven, and place them on a rack to cold.
- Eat the bars within a few hrs, or possibly seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer. For maximum crispness, "refresh" them in a toaster oven after defrosting.
- VARIATIONS: Protein BoostersYou can make the main recipe with any combination of the following adjustments:Replace the canola oil with 1/2 c. peanut butter or possibly almond butter (softened
- In a microwave).
- Replace the flour with quinoa, grnd to a pwdr in a blender or possibly an electric spice grinder.
- Replace the yogurt with mashed silken tofu (soft or possibly hard.) Add in an extra healthy pinch of salt.
- Add in 2 to 3 Tbsp. powdered egg whites Add in up to 1 c. minced nuts and/or possibly sunflower seeds.