Homemade pickled beets are easy to make. They add color and flavor to your dinner plates and when prepared ahead of time, are readily available to serve at a moment's notice.
- 4 lbs beets (pre-cooked and sliced or diced - keep hot while preparing the pickling mixture)
- Pickling mixture:
- 4 cups (960 ml) apple cider vinegar (for a healthier version)
- or regular white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground allspice
- 4 tbsps whole cloves (to be discarded before filling the jars)
- 2 cups white sugar
- First thing is to clean and sterilize 4 quart size Mason jars.
- Then, mix all the ingredients except the beets in a casserole and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 or 5 minutes. Place the cooked, sliced beets in the sterilized mason jars, pour the hot vinegar mixture (through a sieve to catch the whole cloves) on top of the beets, up to a 1/4 inch from the top. Seal jars. Cool and keep in a dark place until ready to use as a condiment.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 238g|
|Recipe makes 15 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||1%|
|Total Fat 0.21g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.05g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 35.6g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|