Cost per recipe $7.04 view details
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small can (115 g) tomato paste
- 1 can (410 g) herbed onion and tomato mix
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcester sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped basil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 packet (500 g) lean beef mince
- 1 packet (250 g) back or shoulder bacon, cut into strips
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) barbeque spice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil rest of the leftover sauce
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated Edam or Mozzarella cheese
- a handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1-2 rectangular or round pizza bases (see tip)
- Preheated oven to 200 Â°C lightly greased baking sheet
- 1.Â Â Â Sauce: In a heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil and fry the garlic for a minute until fragrant. Add the tomato paste, tomato mix and Worcester sauce and stir well. Add the fresh basil and simmer for 8 minutes with the lid half closed. Stir in the sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep aside.
- 2.Â Â Â Topping: Divide the mince in two batches and season one half with the barbeque spice. Cut a third of the bacon strips into pieces and mix into the spiced mince. Scoop out teaspoonfuls of the mince mixture and shape into balls. Heat the oil and fry the rest of the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 3.Â Â Â Fry the mince balls for about 4 to 5 minutes until evenly browned, shaking the pan in between. Remove and set aside. Fry the rest of the mince until browned and season with salt and pepper. Add half of the sauce and the mince balls and cook for 3 minutes until well blended.
- 4.Â Â Â Layering: Spread the rest of the sauce over the pizza base/s and top with the mince mixture. Scatter with sliced onions, peppers and the rest of the bacon strips. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the dough is cooked and the cheese has melted. Scatter with a few fresh basil leaves and serve with a green salad.
- To make pizza bases: Sift together 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour, 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder, 2 ml (Â½ tsp) salt and 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub in 45 ml (3 tbsp) butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 180 ml (Â¾ cup) amasi or buttermilk mixed with 1 egg to the dry ingredients, a little at a time, using a table knife. Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to a 1 cm thick rectangle or round shape.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 516g|
|Calories from Fat 830||69%|
|Total Fat 94.33g||118%|
|Saturated Fat 43.77g||175%|
|Trans Fat 0.7g|
|Total Carbs 31.1g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.0g||20%|