A hearty soup great all year round but especially in winter. Not that we have much winter in New Orleans :) The ox tail stock is what makes this soup really delicious!
- 3 lbs of ox tails
- 4 lbs of lean beef stew meat
- 2 large bay leaves or 6 small
- 3 tablespoons of basil
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 lb baby green beans, snapped
- 2 med onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red, yellow or orange sweet bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 large can of whole tomatoes with liquid, crushed
- 2 14 oz cans of corn with liquid
- 1 lb of crimini (baby bellas) mushrooms, sliced
- 10 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 tablespoons of Paul Prudomme's Salt-Free Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Brown ox tails in a large stock pot and cover with water and bring to a boil then lower heat to medium low to simmer. Simmer until meat falls of the bones.
- Drain liquid and remove fat from meat. Set the meat aside and discard fat. Refrigerate liquid overnight. The liquid should set like Jello and fat should harden. Remove the fat and discard.
- Brown stew meat in 1 tablespoon of oil. The meat will throw off a lot of water so you should let the water evaporate and then the meat will brown. Set the meat aside.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in the remaining oil. Most recipes call for translucent onion, but I prefer to caramelize them slightly it brings out the natural sugars. Near the end of this process add the sliced garlic, bay leaf and mushrooms until the mushrooms are half way cooked.
- Add the stew meat, ox tail meat and stock. (Melt stock in microwave to liquify)
- Add water if needed.
- Then add all the rest of the vegetables and simmer on low heat until stew meat is tender.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 195g|
|Recipe makes 20 servings|
|Calories from Fat 61||38%|
|Total Fat 6.79g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.33g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 19.02g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|