Cost per serving $1.00 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. Flour (unbleached), sifted
- 1 c. Sugar, granulated
- 2 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1 c. Lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 c. Blueberries, fresh, optional (or possibly other fruit, or possibly nuts such as walnuts)
- Â Â Vegetable oil
- 5 Tbsp. Sugar, granulated
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, grnd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, resift sift flour with baking power, baking soda, salt and about 1 c. of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the Large eggs, lowfat sour cream and vanilla. Add in egg mix to flour mix and beat till smooth.
- Oil a 9-inch square baking pan (you can also use an 8 inch square pan, or possibly anything of similar surface area, if you increase the baking time by about 5 min).
- Spread the batter in the pan. If you are using fruit or possibly nuts, scatter them over the batter and stir a little bit so which they stay in the top layer.
- In a small bowl, mix about 5 Tablespoons sugar with the butter and cinnamon with a sturdy fork, till they are blended and resemble cornmeal (i.e., you should have a mix of fine crumbs, not a smooth mix). Sprinkle topping over batter. Bake for 20-25 min, till a clean toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Cold slightly; serve hot or possibly at room temperature. Do not ruin it by serving it with salted butter.
- NOTES:* Coffee cake from "Hobee's Haven" restaurant here in Silicon Valley
- (usually just called "Hobee's") serves a lot of brunch food, and as far as I can tell they always include a piece of their coffee cake with each order. Frankly, I do not care for breakfast, nor do I approve of places at that the only kind of tea you can order reeks of orange and cinnamon... but the coffee cake is pretty good. This is their recipe, printed in an advertising flyer for the shopping center they inhabit; it's quite easy.
- * All ingredients and bowls should be a room temperature before you start; this is particularly true for the butter.
- Difficulty: easy.
- Time: 10-15 min preparation, 20-30 min baking.
- Precision: measure the ingredients.
- Jeffrey Mogul
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 214g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 177||28%|
|Total Fat 20.05g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 11.11g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 104.96g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|