Cost per serving $0.57 view details
- 1 pkt frzn puff pastry sheets - (17 1/4 ounce) thawed
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. hazelnuts - (abt 3 ounce) toasted, husked,
- Â Â and finely grnd
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lrg Large eggs
- 1Â 3/4 ounce bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate cut small pcs
- Â Â (or possibly semisweet chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 1 pastry sheet into 9 1/2-inch-diameter round. Transfer to heavy large cookie sheet; chill.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in medium bowl till fluffy. Fold in nuts, flour and vanilla. Fold in 1 egg. Spread filling proportionately over chilled pastry round, leaving 1/2-inch border at edge. Arrange chocolate pcs over filling, spacing proportionately. Refrigerate15 min.
- Beat remaining egg to blend in small bowl. Cut second pastry sheet into 9 1/2-inch-diameter round. Brush border of filled pastry with beaten egg. Top with second pastry round, pressing edges together firmly to seal. Crimp edges decoratively. Brush pastry with beaten egg. Cut small vent hole in center. Using tip of small sharp knife, score half circles 1/2 inch apart in top of pastry, beginning at vent and ending at crimped edge. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Bake pastry till puffed and golden, about 25 min. Cold 10 min on cookie sheet. Transfer pastry to platter. Serve hot or possibly at room temperature, cutting pastry into wedges.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Comments: This dessert, prominent in the window of virtually every Paris pastry shop, is a true classic. The puff pastry rounds are usually filled with an almond mix, but my version features hazelnuts and chocolate. Purchased pastry makes it approachable for the modern cook. Since it reheats nicely, the Pithiviers can be made ahead.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 42g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 112||62%|
|Total Fat 12.9g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 6.08g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.98g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|