Cost per recipe $7.27 view details
- 1 c. wheat starch
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. boiling water
- 3/4 lb medium raw shrimp
- 1/4 c. finely-minced bamboo shoots
- 1 x egg white
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp rice wine or possibly dry sherry
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd white pepper
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. veg. oil
- Â Â (or possibly solid vegetable shortening)
- Â Â Soy sauce to taste
- Â Â Chili oil to taste
- Wrappers: Mix the wheat starch, cornstarch, and salt together in a bowl. Add in the boiling water to the mix and stir till the dough is moist all over. Cover it with a towel and let sit for approximately 20 min.
- While the dough is sitting, begin preparing the filling. Remove the shells from the shrimp, and devein by cutting a slice down the back of the shrimp and removing the vein. Rinse the shrimp in cool water, drain and place in a bowl with the other filling ingredients.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured cutting board and knead till smooth. Add in the veg. oil, a tsp. at a time, kneading the dough after each addition. The dough should be smooth and shiny.
- Cut the dough into two equal pcs. Roll each piece into a 15-inch cylinder. Split each cylinder into 1-inch pcs, and form each piece into a ball. Cover the dough while you are making the dumplings to prevent it from drying.
- Dumplings: Roll a portion of the dough into a 3- to 3 1/2-inch circle. Place about a tsp. of filling in the center, and fold the skin in half, forming a semicircle or possibly half-moon shape. Press to seal the edges. Cover the dumpling with a damp cloth while you are making the remaining dumplings.
- Steaming: Line the bottom of the steamer with Napa cabbage or possibly a damp cloth to keep the dumplings from sticking. Steam the dumplings till translucent/soft (this will take approximately 18 to 20 min). Serve immediately with the soy sauce and chili oil.
- This recipe yields about 30 dumplings.
- Comments: Har gow are plump dumplings with a pleasing, pleated translucent/soft skin and tasty shrimp filling. Though a delicate steamed treat, they're sturdy sufficient to withstand being served with soy sauce and even warm red chili sauce.
- Yield: 30 dumplings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 865g|
|Calories from Fat 274||18%|
|Total Fat 30.85g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 3.29g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 230.83g||62%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|