Preparation is a bit tedious, but worthwhile and does cut down on both the saltiness and fat in the hocks. What I recommend is to cook the pork hocks overnight, or until falling apart in a crock pot, shred the meat, remove all bones and then start from that point. If not overly salty, use the boiling liquid as stock to boil beans.
If you do allow the pork hacks to cool in the refrigerator, make sure to save all jelled portions to add into soup.
I use a wok to soften the sweet potatoes, just a slight teaspoon of oil and then stir fry until softened, not brown, add 1/2 cup water, cover and allow to steam, when soft, add pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and ginger, then puree, add 1/2 cup whole milk to help liquefy.
after removing majority of fat from cooked hocks, shred meat, place in crock pot, save all fat to mix with 2 cups water and juice from oranges, boil five minutes, then strain water and juice into crock pot, turn on high setting for 30 min, and then low for ten, a few minutes before serving, if broth is too thick add water, if too thin, mix 1/4 cu of broth with 1 tblsp cornstarch, mix well and put back in crock.
Serve as soup, or over rice.
- 2 whole pork hocks, smoked (slowly cooked, shredded, cooled)
- 5 small oranges, juiced, or 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled, small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- knob of fresh ginger, shredded, or 1 tbsp ground horseradish, as you wish, for heat, I prefer Ginger
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1blsp corn starch (if needed)
- scallion slices to top
- Prepare meat, as directed above, allow to cool, set aside, when cool, shred. Save all fat, skin, etc and place in 2 cups water, boil
- Add orange juice to boiling liquid, after 5 min, strain and put in crock pot with shredded meat.
- prepare sweet potato cubes in oil in wok, then steam 1/2 cup water, mix with pie spice, nutmeg, ginger, puree, adding 1/2 cup whole milk, then place in crockpot with ctrus liquid and shredded meat.
- cook on high setting until thickened, or 30 min, then follow directions above to thicken or water down.
- Serve as soup or over rice.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 8||19%|
|Total Fat 0.94g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.57g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.06g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|