Cost per serving $0.44 view details
- 4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp. dry yeast plus
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 x ham, preferably from Trieste - (abt 6 lbs)
- 1 sprg rosemary Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 16 x radicchio leaves hard base removed
- 1 lb Montasio cheese cut into 16 sticks
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Combine the flour and salt on a work surface and form a well in the middle. Dissolve the yeast in about 1 1/2 c. water and pour this mix into the well. Wet your fingers in some more water and push the flour into the yeast, working the ingredients to create a dough. Judiciously add in a few drops of water to incorporate all the flour. Form an elastic, even dough. Place the dough in a large bowl and let rise, covered, in a hot place for an hour. It should double in size.
- Gently wipe the ham with paper towels but don't remove any visible fat. Cut the rosemary sprig in half and "massage" it gently into to outside of the ham, then throw away. Season the outside of the ham with black pepper.
- Return the dough to the work surface and use a rolling pin to roll it out to 1/2-inch thickness. The dough may be an irregular shape. Place the ham in the middle of the dough and completely wrap it in the dough. Healthy pinch the edges together to seal. Place the ham on a baking sheet and let sit for 20 min.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the ham for 2 hrs, after that time the crust should be light golden brown and fragrant.
- While the ham cooks, prepare the stuffed radicchio. Place a piece of cheese at the end of each of the radicchio leaves and roll each leaf to completely enclose the cheese. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a 12- to 14-inch saute/fry pan, heat the butter over medium heat till it foams and subsides. Working in batches, saute/fry the rolls in the pan for about 1 minute each. After the rolls are cooked, transfer them to a 9- by 13-inch casserole and season lightly with salt and pepper. When all the rolls have been sauteed, pour the pan juices over the rolls and set aside till the ham is done cooking.
- After 2 hrs of cooking, remove the ham and let it sit for 5 min. Increase the heat to 400 degrees, and cook the radicchio rolls in the oven for 2 to 3 min. Remove, carve the ham, and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Description: "(Prosciutto in Crosta)"
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 54g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 22||61%|
|Total Fat 2.57g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.51g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.26g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|