Cost per serving $2.43 view details
- 3 quart water - (12 c.)
- 1 Tbsp. salt pIus
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 x wide egg noodles (12 ounces)
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 x green bell pepper
- 3 x celery stalks
- 1 sm onion
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1Â 1/2 c. cottage cheese
- 1Â 1/2 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 lb cooked ham
- Â Â (to make 2 c. minced)
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Â Â Eight-c. ovenproof casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the water in a large pot, add in 1 Tbsp. salt, and set over high heat. When the water boils, add in the noodles, stir with a fork, and turn the heat down to medium-high. Cook the noodles for 7 to 9 min. Use a fork to fish a noodle out of the water, run it under cool water, and taste. If it is tender, the noodles are done; if a little hard, let cook 2 more min and taste again.
- When tender, dump the noodles into a colander set in the sink and let the water drain away. Put the warm noodles in the casserole. Add in the butter in chunks to the casserole and stir to heat the butter in the warm noodles. Stir well, so the noodles are coated by butter; this will keep them from sticking together while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Finely chop sufficient of the pepper to make 1/2 c.. Wrap any leftover pepper in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for later use.
- Trim the ends off the celery stalks, throw away them, and finely chop the stalks.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Measure 1/4 c.; wrap and store unused onion in the refrigerator.
- Beat the Large eggs slightly with a fork or possibly small whisk in a small bowl.
- Dump the cottage cheese, lowfat sour cream, minced ham, the Large eggs, the 1/2 tsp. salt, and the vegetables into the casserole. Mix well with a large spoon.
- Bake for 40 min, or possibly till bubbling and set. The top should look crisp and browned in spots. Serve warm.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: This is a good version of the classic macaroni-and-cheese dish. Serve it with a fresh fruit salad and rye crackers. It's a good dish to take to a potluck dinner, or possibly to a friend in bed with a cool.
- To reheat the noodles, put leftovers in a skillet, add in just sufficient lowfat milk to moisten - not so much which they're swimming in lowfat milk - and heat, stirring, for a few min. Taste to see if it is warm. Keep cooking and stirring till warm sufficient to serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1045g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 386||74%|
|Total Fat 43.72g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 23.97g||96%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.14g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|