Cost per recipe $13.99 view details
- Â Â eight (12-inch) bamboo skewers
- 1 x dry ancho chili* stemmed and seeded (wear rubber gloves)
- 1 c. water
- 4 x garlic cloves minced
- 1 x onion minced
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. grnd cumin
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme leaves or possibly 2 tsp. crumbled dry thyme
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano leaves or possibly 2 crumbled tsp. dry oregano
- 2 tsp salt or possibly to taste
- 2 tsp black peppercorns crushed
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
- 3 x pork tenderloins (about 2 1/4 pounds), each trimmed and cut crosswise into 8 pcs
- Â Â twenty-four (1-inch) chunks of fresh pineapple
- Â Â twenty-four (1-inch) chunks of red onion
- Â Â *MANCHAMANTEL SAUCE (ANCHO CHILI FRUIT (Ancho Chili Fruit SAUCE)*** - Sauce):
- 2 ounce dry ancho chilies* (about 5), stemmed and seeded (wear rubber gloves)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 c. finely minced onion
- 3Â 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar plus additional to taste
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar plus additional to taste
- 1 c. low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. minced fresh pineapple
- 3/4 c. sliced banana (about 1 small banana)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Â Â a healthy pinch of grnd cloves
- *Available at Hispanic markets, some specialty foods shops, and some supermarkets
- To make the kebabs:Let the skewers soak in water to cover for 1 hour. Toast the chili on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 250F. oven for 5 min and transfer to a heatproof bowl. Pour sufficient boiling water over the chili to
- cover, let the mix stand for 30 min, and drain the chili. In a blender blend together the chili, the 1 c. water, the garlic, the onion, the cumin, the thyme, the oregano, the salt, the peppercorns, the oil, and the lemon juice till the marinade is smooth.
- In a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag combine the pork and the marinade and let the pork marinate, chilled, for at least 6 hrs overnight.
- Drain the pork, pat it dry lightly, and thread each skewer loosely with 3 pcs of the pork, 3 chunks of the pineapple, and 3 chunks of the red onion. Grill or possibly broil the kebabs on an oiled rack set about 4 to 5 inches
- from the heat for 8 to 10 min on each side, or possibly till the pork is cooked through but still slightly pink. Serve the kebabs with the manchamantel sauce.
- To make the sauce:Toast the chilies on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 250F. oven for 5 min and transfer them to a heatproof bowl. Pour sufficient boiling water over the chilies to cover, let the mix stand for 30 min, and drain the chilies. In a heavy skillet cook the garlic, the onion, and salt and pepper to taste in 2 Tbsp. of the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, till the onion is soft and pale golden brown, add in 1 Tbsp. of the sugar and 1 1/2 Tbsp. of the vinegar, and cook the mix, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the onion mix to a
- blender, add in the chilies, the broth, the 1/2 c. water, the pineapple, the
- banana, the cinnamon, the cloves, the additional sugar and vinegar if you like, and salt and pepper to taste, and blend the sauce till it is very smooth. In the skillet heat the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil over
- moderately high heat till it is warm but not smoking, add in the sauce, and simmer it, stirring, for 5 min.
- Makes about 3 c..
- Makes 8 kebabs, serving 6 to 8.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1970g|
|Calories from Fat 1249||56%|
|Total Fat 141.21g||177%|
|Saturated Fat 19.54g||78%|
|Trans Fat 1.37g|
|Total Carbs 87.13g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 17.3g||58%|